California and Texas are similar in many tangible respects, especially economically. So why is California broke and on the verge of bankruptcy whereas Texas is doing nominally well?
The major difference is how California (Blue State) handles situations and spends tax-dollars as opposed to how Texas (Red State) does so. For example:
Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks dog.
- Governor starts to intervene, reflects upon the movie “Bambi” and then realizes he should stop; the coyote is only doing what is natural.
- Governor calls animal control. Animal control captures coyote and spends $200 testing it for diseases and $500 upon relocating it.
- Governor calls veterinarian. Vet collects dead dog and spends $200 testing it for diseases.
- Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting bite wound bandaged.
- Running trail gets shut down for 6 months while wildlife services conduct a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is clear of dangerous animals.
- Governor spends $50,000 of state funds implementing a “coyote awareness” program for residents of the area.
- State legislature spends $2 million investigating how to better handle rabies and how to possibly eradicate the disease.
- Governor’s security agent is fired for not stopping the attack and for letting the Governor intervene.
- State pays $75,000 to train new security agent.
- PETA protests the coyote relocation and files suit against the state.
- Governor shoots coyote and keeps jogging. Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge. Buzzards eat dead coyote.
Are there still any questions as why California is broke and Texas isn’t? 😛