This is a great spring and summer salad that can also be used as relish with summer meat and fish dishes.
Fresh Corn Salad
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 -6
This salad goes very well with seafood dishes – especially shrimp, octopus and scallops Â– and with cold meat salads such as chicken salad, ham salad or tuna salad. As a relish it adds a nice component to fish tacos, quesadillas and Â– believe it or not Â– hot dogs.
- 6 - 8 ears of sweet corn
- 4 - 6 mild to medium chilies (Anaheim, red, orange or yellow bells, banana peppers, etc...)
- 1 bunch of scallions
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small basket of grape or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh herbs to taste (sage, oregano, cilantro, dill, thyme, etc...)
- Shuck the corn and cut the kernels from the cob
- In a large bowl (glass, ceramic or stainless steel preferred) combine all the ingredients except the tomatoes.
- Allow salad to sit for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Adjust seasoning to taste
- Serve sprinkled with the tomatoes
Add crumbled feta cheese and sliced roasted beets Add grated sharp cheddar and diced Granny Smith green apples Add ½ cup diced jicama and substitute diced tomatillo (husk tomato) for half the grape or cherry tomatoes Substitute rice wine vinegar for cider vinegar. Add ½ cup grated daikon (Japanese giant white radish) and 2 tablespoons ponzu (Japanese citrus sauce) Dice and drain the tomatoes and fold them into the salad. Use as relish or condiment for summer dishes if you're of a mind to do so.
In a sealed container this salad will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator. Enjoy!