I especially like this dish served with good feta cheese and a loaf of crusty bread to sop up the seasoned olive oil.
Recipe type: Appetiser
Serves: 4 -6
Foole Meze is a Greek fava bean appetizer or starter course. In point of fact my name for the dish translates as "fava bean appetizer."
- 3 cups frozen fava (broad) beans
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 4-6 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the fava beans in rapidly boiling water for 4 minutes, then rinse under cold water.
- Remove the leathery outer skin from the fava beans and discard.
- Mix together the shelled fava beans, olives, and artichoke hearts in a bowl.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Place equal amounts of the fava bean mixture on serving plates, drizzle with the dressing, and top with the parsley and a little freshly ground black pepper.
I hope you enjoy!